This is my take on Maharagwe ya nazi, a popular East African dish. I have made my version slightly creamier as I love the gravy and added pinto beans and haricot beans. You can skip the addition of these beans if you just want the classic version.
This recipe requires pre-soaking the beans.
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans (soak them for 4 hours or overnight)
- 1/2 cup pinto and haricot beans if you decide to include them.
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- handful chopped coriander
- 1 tablespoon oil
- In a small saucepan filled with water, add the beans and boil them on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook till soft, approximately 6 minutes, and then add the garlic,ginger and tomatoes.
- Cook for 4 minutes, add the beans, spices and coconut milk and mix well.
- Cover the pan and lower the heat and let this cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander, taste and add salt if necessary.
- Enjoy hot.