Kala Chana, also known as black chickpeas, are full of health benefits and are really nutritious. The best bit is they are full of flavour too.
I love eating them in a spicy gravy and here is my recipe.
- 1 tin Kala chana, drained
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon dhana jeeru
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 500 ml water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- In a kadai, heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds and let these sizzle.
- Now add the onions and green chilli, and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and all the spices and salt except for garam masala.
- Add the kala chana and water and mix well.
- Cover the lid and let this cook for 15 minutes.
- Add more water if needed, to make it slightly runny.
- Now add the garam masala and sugar and mix well.
- Let this cook for a further 5 minutes and then serve hot.