Fresh carrot and chilli pickle is so easy to make and is the perfect accompaniment to any indian meal. It is a condiment you will always find in my fridge. Sometimes I eat it with a paratha as a meal as it is so tasty.
I have prepared my fresh crunchy pickle and stored them in preserving jars, kindly sent to me by Ball UK. These are beautiful jars and I was excited to fill them up with some of my “must have in the fridge” pickle.
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons crushed mustard seeds
- 4 green chillies, sliced and de-seeded
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 Preserving jars. I used Balls 240 ml jelly preserving jars with lids and bands.
- 1 large bowl
- Prepare the preserving jars using the water bath canning method. This involves heating the jars until they are ready to use. You can also wash them in a dishwasher.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients well. Taste the carrots and if needed, add more sugar.
- Now fill each jar with the mixture.
- The jars will store the pickle for a week in the fridge.
The best thing about these jars are they have so many uses. Keep an eye out for some more recipes on my blog coming up with them. For more information, visit: http://www.freshpreservinguk.co.uk