Fenugreek sprouts are considered to have superfood qualities as they have so many health benefits. The added bonus is that they taste really good too! This recipe requires advance preparation but it is worth it.
How to sprout (2 days in advance)
To sprout fenugreek, first soak 1/2 cup of fenugreek seeds for 6 hours. Then wrap them in a muslin cloth for a day until they sprout.
- 1 cup fenugreek sprouts, washed
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon jaggery (gor)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Heat the oil in a kadai on medium heat and add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- When they start to sizzle, add the onions and green chilli and cook for 8 minutes.
- Now add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes before adding the tomato and 1/4 cup water.
- Let the tomatoes cook for around 5 minutes, and then add the fenugreek sprouts and the spices.
- Mix well, add the jaggery and salt, and pour in the rest of the water.
- Let this cook for around 10 minutes and serve hot with rice or chapattis.
Tip: You can eat this as a salad the next day for lunch too.