- 2/3 cup Rice
- 1/3 cup Moong Dal (split green gram with skin) and/or Toor Dal (split yellow lentils). I like to use a mix of both!
- 3½ cups Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon minced Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin-Coriander Powder
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chopped carrot
- 1 potato, boiled and cubed
- Peas (handful)
- Dollop of yoghurt to garnish
- Rinse the rice and moong dal and/or toor dal in water several times and pick out any stones.
- Drain the water and transfer the dal to either a pressure cooker or a saucepan.
- Add fresh water, turmeric powder and salt. If cooking in a pressure cooker, cook it for 4 whistles on medium hot. If cooking in a saucepan, it will take between 30-45 minutes to cook it on medium until the rice and dal is nice and soft.
- Once this is ready, in a separate pan heat 1 tablespoon oil and when the oil is hot add mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add cumin seeds, curry leaves and the ginger. After about a minute add the spices and the carrot, peas and potato if you are using them.
- Add this to the dal and rice mix and stir it all in thoroughly.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt. I like to add a sprinkling of salt and red chilli powder to mine!
How do you make Kitchari?