There is nothing more satisfying than having a jar filled with homemade hot, spicy and tangy chilli pickle in the fridge. It is so simple to make and lasts for 2 weeks. It goes well with parathas, as a condiment on the side with an indian meal and is so warming and addictive. It doesn’t take long to make a batch either! It is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Large green chillies, approximately 10/12, washed and dried
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder to marinate
- 1/2 teaspoon to temper with
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- pinch of hing
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- Cut the chillies lengthways into halves.
- Put them in a large bowl and add turmeric, salt and the lemon juice and mix well.
- In a kadai, heat the mustard oil on medium heat.
- Add the rai, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, hing and the turmeric and cook for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the chillies, cook for 2 minute and take off heat.
- Let this cool and then fill jars with it.