Spinach tastes amazing spiced up and it is magical seeing how it transforms when cooked. It starts off super volumized as per the photo below.
It then becomes a beautiful dish like the one pictured below. How? Well here is my recipe 🙂
- 200g spinach (I used baby spinach)
- 1 large tomato, pureed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- Handful of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ajwain seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil. I used coconut oil for a healthier versin but you can use vegetable oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin and coriander powder (dhana jeeru)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
Tip: Instead of the ground spices mentioned above, you can add 2 teaspoons of Nicos Polle Polle Spice Mix which tastes amazing and can be purchased from:
- Wash the spinach and set aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil and add the cumin seeds and ajwain seeds.
- When they start to sizzle add the onions and cook for 6 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves and cook for a further 4 minutes, mixing regularly.
- Now pour in the pureed tomatoes.
- Let this cook for 2 minutes, then add the ground spices, or Nicos Polle polle spice mix, and salt.
- Mix well, add in the spinach and let this cook for 10 minutes.
- By now it should have cooked down like this:
- Cover the pan and let this cook for another 5 minutes and then take off heat. Taste it and adjust the salt accordingly.
- Eat while hot with either rice or chapatis.