Sometimes when you want a nice simple dal but one that gives you great comfort, toor dal is always a winner! This recipe is simple and has a lot of fresh and healthy ingredients. I especially love this dal when I am feeling under the weather or it is a chilly evening.
- 2 cups oily Toor Dal washed in several changes of cold water
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- handful curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- In a saucepan of simmering water, boil the toor dal for about 30 minutes on medium heat.
- After the toor dal is ready, in a separate saucepan heat the oil.
- Add the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, chilli and tomato and sautee on low heat.
- Add the salt, sugar, garam masala, turmeric and red chilli powder
- Now add the toor dal and water.
- Mix well and cover the pan for around 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and using a hand blender, blitz the dal until it is a soup like consistency.
- Taste and add more salt if required.
- Enjoy hot!