Tawa or Tava as it is also sometimes known, refers to a flatter style of saucepan than the usual style.
This style of cooking potatoes is delicious and this dish would make a great starter as well as a main course.
PS: This dish can also be made in a pan on top of a BBQ for that smoked effect.
- 2 large potatoes, boiled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 green chilli chopped
- Handful chopped coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
1. In a tawa, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. If you don’t have a tawa you can use a saucepan.
2. Add the ingredients for tempering and let this cook on medium heat until the cumin seeds start to sizzle.
3. Now add the onions, garlic and ginger and let this cook for around 7 minutes until the onions are soft.
4. Now add the potatoes and red chilli and mix well.
5. Stir dry regularly for around 6 minutes and then garnish with chopped coriander.
6. Eat as a starter or a main with chapatis.