Portobello Mushrooms are so versatile and they make excellent pizza bases for a healthier, gluten free version.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, washed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 beef tomatoes/large tomatoes, pureed
- 1 cup grated cheese. I used Comte
- Olive oil to drizzle
For toppings you can use whatever you want but I went for olives, thyme and chives with a sprinkling of oregano and black pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Scrape out the gills and stalk from the mushrooms. The easiest way to scrape the gills out is to use a spoon.
- Line a baking tray with foil and arrange the mushrooms on it.
- Drizzle olive oil all over the mushrooms generously.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil and sauté the onions and garlic for 4 minutes and then add the pureed tomatoes to make the sauce. Let this cook for around 10 minutes with the lid on and lower the heat.
- Once ready, pour the tomato sauce into each of the portobello mushrooms.
- Top with grated cheese and then add the toppings you have chosen.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- When removing there may be lots of liquid from the mushroom so take care not to spill it.
- Once ready, eat straight away. I added a few drops of tabasco to it to give it a little kick and it tasted amazing.