My favourite Chinese starter to order in restaurants. After lots of trials, here is a recipe I am happy to share with you. I have added cashew nuts for an extra crunch!
- 1 slab of tofu. I have seen these in both 200 grams and 280 grams. It doesn’t matter which one you get 🙂
- 50 grams corn flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon, grated ginger
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Vegetable oil to fry. Amount will vary according to the size of your frying pan
- Place the slab of tofu in a colander to drain any excess liquid and pat try with a piece of kitchen towel.
- Cut the tofu into cubes.
- In a large bowl mix the corn flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the tofu cubes in and mix well till coated.
- Pour enough oil into your frying pan to fry the tofu. Make sure the base is covered and slightly thick.
- Heat the oil on medium heat and add the tofu in batches.
- Fry for around 6-8 minutes per batch till crispy and set aside on a kitchen towel.
- In a separate pan, add the sesame oil and heat on medium heat.
- Add the spring onions, chillies, garlic, ginger and cashew nuts and stir fry for two minutes.
- Mix in the tofu cubes and drizzle soy sauce all over.
- Stir everything together well and eat hot.