I recently tried Spanish Persimon® for the first time and I was instantly in love! It tastes like a cross between a peach and a mango and they are in typically in season from mid-October to January, so definitely try and get your hands on some if you spot them in the shops! They are available in all the major supermarkets such as M&S and Sainsbury’s.
They are grown in an area near Valencia in Spain called the Ribera del Xúquer valley and they are delightful! Let me know if you’ve tried them before and what you like making with them. They are so versatile they would taste great in so many different recipes.
As it’s the festive season, I have created an easy and quick cocktail recipe for Persimon Fizz with Prosecco, Nutmeg and Cinnamon – all my favourite seasonal flavours!
Spanish Persimon® Fizz
- 2 Persimons and 1 extra for garnish (optional)
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Chilled Prosecco
- Remove the leafy tops from the Persimons, skin them and blend into a puree, with a tiny bit of water.
- Pour the puree into two champagne flutes and top each one with Prosecco.
- Add a pinch of the nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Give it all a really good stir to mix it up well.
- Garnish with a slice of Persimon on the rim of you like! I adore the star shape of the fruit. It has a lovely festive touch to it.
I was kindly sent some Spanish Persimon® to try but all views are my own.