I love this dish as either a starter or a light lunch and it’s so easy to make! I used to make this with the aubergines only, which you can also do, but recently I started adding meat-free mince to it for some extra texture. I have tried so many brands but the one which I have really enjoyed cooking with is The Meatless Farm Co’s Meat Free Mince. It’s great if you are trying to eat less meat and want to incorporate protein to your dishes.
- Sesame oil – 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 large aubergine cut into batons
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated
- 2 tablespoons Lee Kum Kee Chilli Garlic Sauce or chilli bean paste
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese wine
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 100 grams of The Meatless Farm Meat-Free Mince or any other meat-free mince.
- In a pan, heat up the oil and fry the aubergine on medium heat for around 6 minutes. Remove the aubergine and set aside.
- Now add the Sichuan peppercorns and the onions in to the same pan (add a little bit more oil if needed) and after around 4 minutes add the garlic, ginger and either the chilli garlic sauce or chilli bean paste, depending on which one you are using.
- Stir this for around 3-4 minutes and then add the soy sauce, Chinese wine, aubergines and the mince.
- Mix this all up and keep stirring.
- Add 1/4 cup water and cover the pan and let this cook for a few minutes and then dish it up in a serving plate and garnish with spring onions.