During the summer I absolutely love the abundance of fresh British Tomatoes that you can find in stores. They are so fresh, full of flavour and the perfect ingredient for cooking! I use tomatoes in so much of my cooking and they are so versatile! I was recently kindly sent a very generous amount of juicy Piccolo tomatoes to cook with by the The British Tomato Association, which inspired me to get cooking again, something I have been neglecting.
Piccolo Cherry Tomatoes, although small, pack in a lot of flavour punch, are slightly tangy and sweet, and a real joy to cook with! I do admit, I did eat a few just as they were as I couldn’t resist that fresh aroma coming from my box! After all tomatoes are considered to be fruit, so they do make the perfect sized snack!
Here are 3 recipes which will hopefully inspire you to try British Piccolo Tomatoes in your cooking this summer. You can print or save each one.
- 250 grams cubed paneer
- 12 British Piccolo Tomatoes, pureed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Handful Fenugreek (Methi) leaves, chopped
- Handful chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoons single cream
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon methi seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Heat the oil in a kadhai on medium heat.
- Add in the cumin seeds and methi seeds and when they sizzle add in the onions, garlic, ginger and green chillies.
- Give everything a good swirl and cook till onions are soft. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Add in the pureed Piccolo Tomatoes and ground spices and cook for around 5 minutes then add the cubed paneer, chopped methi leaves and single cream.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let this cook for around fifteen minutes and then your dish should be ready.
- Garnish with the freshly chopped coriander and taste for salt, and add more salt accordingly.
- Serve with chapatis or parathas and enjoy 🙂
- Handful of British Piccolo Tomatoes
- Cubed Feta Cheese
- Mozzarella pearls
- Quarter Cucumber sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon zest
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- Simply plate the tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese and mozzarella pearls together, sprinkle over some lemon zest and a pinch of salt and drizzle with olive oil and enjoy!
- 12-15 British Piccolo Tomatoes
- 2 Spring onions, chopped
- Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- Handful chopped dill
- Handful chopped parsley
- 4 sheets of Filo Pastry
- Olive Oil
- Half a teaspoon salt
- Tablespoon crushed pepper
- Grated pecorino cheese. You can use any cheese you like for this.
- Cube melted butter
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Place the Piccolo Tomatoes in a baking tray and drizzle a generous amount of olive oil and a pinch of salt all over them.
- Roast these in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a separate baking tin by brushing melted butter on each sheet of filo pastry and placing the filo pastry sheets in the tray. Cover them with the grated cheese.
- Once ready, place the roasted tomatoes on top of the cheese, along with the other ingredients.
- Place this tray in the oven and cook for 20 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.
I hope you enjoy these recipes and that they inspire you to try using British Piccolo Tomatoes in your cooking this summer.
If you have any of your own favourite recipes for Piccolo Tomatoes do let me know in the comments section below!
You can find out more about The British Tomato Association here.