It can be eaten on its own as a soup or enjoyed with rice.
- 500 grams butternut squash, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup red lentils, washed in cold water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- handful of chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan, over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and when they are sizzling, add the green chillies, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Let this cook for around 6 minutes, and then add the butternut squash, lentils and 3 cups water.
- Add all the spices, mix well and let this boil away on lower heat for 30 minutes.
- Check half way through to see if you need to add more water.
- Taste and add more salt if needed and then blitz this until it is a soupy consistency.
- Garnish with soup coriander leaves and enjoy with rice or on its own like soup.