How do you like eating butternut squash?
My favourite way to eat this seasonal vegetable has to be cooked with spices. Warms it up and is perfect for Autumn nights!
Here is my recipe. It serves 2 and takes 40 minutes to make.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed.
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teasooon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin and coriander powder (dhana jeeru)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Handful chopped coriander to garnish
- In a saucepan filled with water, boil the cubed butternut squash for 20 minutes until semi-soft.
- Once done, in a pan heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- When they sizzle, add the green chillies, ginger and garlic. Cook this for around 2 minutes and then add the cubed butternut squash.
- Add all the spices and mix well.
- Pour in half a glass of water and cover the pan and let this cook until the water evaporates.
- Taste the dish and add more salt if needed and garnish with coriander
- Take off heat and enjoy hot. Best served with naan bread, chapatttis or rice.