A healthy, nutritious and indulgent meal which is full of flavour!
Takes some time to cook but it is so worth it as it tastes so good!
Time: 1 1/2 hours
Serves: 4 people
- 300 grams of Chana dal
- 1 tablespoon crushed ginger
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 chopped green chillies
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tabelspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin and coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (add more if needed later according to taste)
- Handful of chopped coriander to garnish
- Vegetable oil
- Wash the chana dal in several changes of water.
- Now boil the chana dal in a saucepan filled 3/4 with water on medium heat and add a dash of salt, turmeric and the half the tablespoon of ginger to it.
- You will get a layer of scum forming on the top of the water. Just remove this with a big spoon.
- Let this boil for around an hour until the chana dal is nice and soft.
- In a separate pan add 2 tablespoons of oil and the cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds sizzle, add the chopped onion and green chillies on medium heat and let this cook for 10 minutes.
- Now add the garlic and let this cook for a further 2 minutes and then add this whole mixture to your chana dal.
- Give it a good mix and then add the remaining ginger, red chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
- Add more water if the dal is getting dry and add salt if needed.
- Garnish with coriander and enjoy with either rice or hot chapatis.